Keeping indoor cats is tasking as one has to plan their schedule around potty breaks. More so when your cats litter is located in a separate room such as the laundry or the basement. Cat flaps and doors give you and your cat the freedom you need by allowing access to your cat. Here is a review of the best cat flaps for wooden doors.
This article contains affiliate links, we will earn a commission if you purchase through our choosen links at no additional cost to you.
Summary table of best cat flaps for wooden doors
Here is a summary of our top pick cat flaps for wooden doors. Read on to find out more. If you are in a hurry, we recommend the PetSafe Interior cat door if you are under a budget. The PetSafe Aluminum dog and cat door will give you the best value for your money.
|PetSafe Interior Cat door||Sliding two way lock|
Includes detailed instructions, cutting template and hardware
Made using long lasting high impact frame
Dimensions; frame 7.5” by 7.9” flap 5.7” by 5.7”
|4.4 / 5|
|Cat Mate Microchip Cat flap||Entry operated by your cats RFID microchip or collar tag|
4 way manual override lock
Requires 4 x AA batteries(not included in package)
Weather proof outer shield
Dimensions; 4.33” x 7.87” x 9.84”
|4.1 / 5|
|PetSafe Freedom Aluminum dog and cat door||Solid aluminum frame|
Flexible tinted flap
Slide in closing panel
Fits doors between 3/8” and 2”
Flap size: W 13 ¾” by H 23 ¾”
|4.6 / 5|
|Perfect Pet soft flap cat door with telescopic frame||Tamper proof installation system|
Impact-resisting super-strong thermoplastic clear flap
Inner telescoping frame; 1 ¼” to 2” doors
Flap size: 7” by 11 ¼”
|4.7 / 5|
|CEES Cat Doors, Magnetic Pet Door||4 way rotary lock|
Comes with 2 packs of 8 screws each
Weather proof brush strips
Inner door frame size; W 6.18” by H 6.3”
|4.3 / 5|
*The ratings are based on Amazon at the time of publication and are subject to change
What is the best cat flap for wooden doors
First, this cat flap is transparent. As such, your cat is able to see what is on the other side. It is therefore easy to train your cat to use this product. Additionally, acclimatization to the cat flap is easy and stress free.
Secondly, this cat door fits in any interior wood, storm, PVC, paneled or metallic doors. It is therefore versatile and can be used on all types of doors. Additionally, this product includes detailed instructions, a cutting template and hardware to allow for easy DIY installation at your convenience.
In addition, this cat flap has a sliding two way lock that gives you the option to close the door when you choose. As such, this cat flap is convenient for you and your cat. It gives your cat the freedom to access food, water and the litter box while behind closed doors without compromising the safety of your home.
Lastly, the quality of this product is guaranteed. This long-lasting cat flap is made using a high impact frame Manufactured in the United States.
- Sliding two way lock
- Includes detailed instructions, cutting template and hardware
- Made using long lasting high impact frame
- Dimensions; frame 7.5″ x 7.9″ flap 5.7″ x 5.7″
- Budget friendly
- Easy to install
- Easy to train your cat to use the flap
- It is versatile
- Leaves a gap between the front and back piece when used on hollow doors. You can cover the gap with a thick tape.
- Noisy when the cat uses the door.
First, entry through the flap is operated by your cats RFID microchip or collar tag. You are therefore assured that this cat flap will keep stray pets and wild animals away.
Secondly, you can easily register for the program. Additionally, you can register up to 30 cats with a microchip. This is useful especially when used indoors. It allows you to determine which cats to allow access to certain rooms. As such you can be able to separate picky eaters from other cats.
Additionally, this flap comes with an additional 4 way manual override lock. You are therefore able to control your cat’s movements at your convenience.
Lastly, this cat flap is flexible. It can be installed in doors, windows and walls.
- Entry operated by your cats RFID microchip or collar tag
- 4 way manual override lock
- Requires 4 x AA batteries (not included in package)
- Weather proof outer shield
- Dimensions; 4.33″ x 7.87″ x 9.84″
- Keeps stray pets and wildlife out
- Easy to register for the program
- Easy to program at the push of a single button
- Has a loud click which can discourage some cats from using it.
This cat flap comes with a solid aluminum frame. The strong metal frame is long-lasting and can withstand wear and tear. It is therefore versatile and can handle active multiple pets.
Secondly, this pet door is easy to install. You can easily DIY (Do-it-yourself) install this cat flap by following the detailed instructions included in the package. Additionally, this product includes a cutting template and installation hardware.
Additionally, this pet door has a durable construction. It is great for indoor and outdoor storm, PVC, wooden and metallic doors. This pet door fits interior and exterior doors between 3/8” and 2”.
This cat flap includes a flexible tinted flap that is gentle on your cat. Furthermore, this pet flap is suitable for extra large pets up-to 220 pounds. It can therefore be used for large cats and dogs.
Lastly, you can control your cat’s access. You can use the slide in closing panel to control your cat’s access to the outdoors and to keep stray animals out of your home.
- Solid aluminum frame
- Flexible tinted flap
- Slide in closing panel
- Fits doors between 3/8” and 2”
- Flap size: W 13 ¾” by H 23 ¾”
- Easy to DIY install
- It is durable
- Suitable for large cats and small dogs
- Slide in closing panel allows you to control access to your pet
- The vinyl screws break easily during installation, purchase own machine screws instead
- Flap may get stuck on the weather-stripping leaving a gap
One, it is easy to install. You can easily install this cat flap using a simple 4 step installation procedure. Averagely, you will use about 20 minutes to install this cat flap.
Two, this cat flap is tamper proof. Perfect Pet soft cat flap comes with a tamper proof mounting system. As such, this cat flap cannot be removed from the outside. This cat flap therefore provides unlimited access to your cat without compromising your homes security.
Additionally this product contains an impact-resisting super-strong thermoplastic clear flap. As such, your cat is able to see the other side. It is therefore easy to train your cat to use this flap. The soft flap material also makes acclimatization stress free for your cat.
Lastly, the inner telescoping frame adapts to doors of 1/14” to 2” thickness. It can therefore be used on hollow doors within 2” thickness without leaving a gap as in other products.
- Tamper proof installation system
- Impact-resisting super-strong thermoplastic clear flap
- Inner telescoping frame; 1 ¼” to 2” doors
- Flap size: 7” by 11 ¼”
- Easy to install
- Tamper proof hence secure
- Easy to train your cat to use
- Lets a lot of cold air in during winter
First, it comes with a convenient lock. This product has a knob style switch. The switch is a 4 ways rotary. You can easily rotate it to 4 modes to control your cat’s access options (in only, out only, in and out freely and locked totally).
Secondly, this product provides a fixed groove with snap tabs for weather proof brush strip. The brush strips can easily be fixed in the groove. This therefore helps the brush strips reduce noise, stop rain drops, wind or pests.
Additionally, it is easy to install. Included in the package is a step by step installation instruction manual. You can also review installation videos provided.
Lastly, this cat flap fits to being installed in interior doors, exterior doors, walls, windows, cupboards, glass including wooden doors.
- 4 way rotary lock
- Comes with 2 packs of 8 screws each
- Weather proof brush strips
- Inner door frame size; W 6.18” by H 6.3”
- Easy to install
- Stops draft
FAQs about cat flaps
How do you put a cat flap in a wooden door?
Once you purchase a cat flap you will need to install it in the door. Here is a step by step guide on how to put a cat flap in a wooden door.
- Measure; position your cat flap about 15 centimeters from the floor. This is the average belly size of a cat. Mark this height with a pencil in two places in the middle of the door. Cat flaps come with a template showing where to cut and drill. Draw the outline of the template on the door.
- Drill; drill a hole in each corner of the template outline on the door using an electric drill such as if available.
- Saw along the line; using a jigsaw or electric saw, cut from one hole to the next.
- Smooth the edges; remove the cut wood and smooth the edges with sandpaper.
- Drill screw holes; place the cat flap on the door and mark 4 corners using a pencil. Drill screw holes on the 4 marks using a drill bit that is slightly narrower than the screws.
- Mount the cat flap; place the cat flap on the hole with the screw holes aligned to each other. Screw in the screws as necessary depending on the type of flap you have.