Corn snakes are popular snakes in the exotic pet industry for several reasons. Corn snakes bred in captivity grow to moderate adult sizes. They are docile in nature and reluctant to bite. Additionally, corn snakes come in a beautiful array of colors and patterns. Lastly, corn snakes are easy to care for even for beginner snake hobbyists. As a beginner corn snake keeper, all you need is a basic corn snake starter kit, and you are good to go.
This article contains affiliate links, we will earn a commission if you purchase through our choosen links at no additional cost to you.
A good corn snake starter kit must include a number of equipment. Our team of experts have reviewed several corn snake starter kits. Based on our reviews, we recommend the following corn snake starter kits for beginner keepers.
Summary table of best corn snake starter kit
|Hagen Exo Terra Snake Starter kit||20-gallon long terrarium with a screen top |
Terrarium substrate heater
Day and night LED fixture
Hide cave x 2
|4.0 / 5|
|Zilla Basic Tropical Reptile Starter Kit||10-gallon tank|
Day blue incandescent bulb
Humidity and temperature gauge
Green terrarium liner
|4.1 / 5|
|Zoo Med Laboratories Reptihabitat||20-gallon terrarium with sliding screen top|
ReptiTherm Under tank heater
Mini deep dome lamp fixture
Daylight blue reptile heat bulb
Aspen snake bedding (8 qt)
Analogue reptile thermometer
Repti rock water dish
Plastic bush plant
Giude to reptile care booklet
ReptiSafe water conditioner
|3.4 / 5|
*The ratings are based on Amazon at the time of publication and are subject to change
What equipment do you need for a corn snake?
Although corn snakes are easy to care for, they require several equipment that are not cheap. Here we have made a list of the basic equipment you need when setting up for your new pet corn snake. A good corn snake starter kit should contain most of the equipment listed below.
- Cage: Can be glass or plastic. You can use a 10-gallon tank to house a baby corn snake and a 20-gallon tank to house an adult.
- Lid: Corn snakes are good escape artists. You therefore need a cage that has a secure lid to secure the snake.
- Substrate: Corn snakes are burrowers. They need substrate that is soft, deep enough to form burrows and one that holds its form such that the burrows do not collapse. Aspen is the common substrate used by most corn snake keepers. Read our separate article on best substrates for corn snakes to find out more.
- Heater: Corn snakes are thermogradient. They require a basking area and a cooling area. Heating equipment such as ceramic heaters, under tank heating pads or heat tape can be used on the basking area.
- Thermometer: You need 2 digital reptile thermometers (1 on basking area and the other on the cooling area) to monitor the temperature in the cage.
- Thermostat: to regulate the temperature of the enclosure
- Hygrometer: To monitor the humidity of the cage as corn snakes require a humidity of between 40 and 50%.
- Hides / caves: You need 2 hides, 1 on each side of the cage.
- Heavy water bowl: Corn snakes need a large water bowl so they can soak in at will.
- Climbing branches: Corn snakes like to climb if given the chance.
- Reptile safe disinfectant
Review of best corn snake starter kit
We recommend the Hagen Exo Terra Snake Starter as a starter kit for corn snakes for a beginner hobbyist. This starter kit includes all the necessary care products you need to get started. It is therefore convenient for beginner corn snake keeper. You will only need to buy a few additional products to keep your snake happy.
The Hagen Exo Terra Snake Starter includes the following
- 20-gallon long terrarium with a screen top – the dimensions of the cage are 30” X 18” X 18” while the screen is metallic.
- Snake bedding
- Terrarium substrate heater
- Analog thermometer
- Day and night LED fixture
- Water bowl
- Hide cave x 2
- Care guide
This snake starter kit is suitable for corn snakes as it includes some of the care equipment you need.
The analog thermometer works ok but you may need to replace it with a digital reptile thermometer. Additionally, to easily maintain the temperature of the terrarium, you may need to invest in a thermostat.
Buy some climbing branches to provide for climbing as corn snakes love to periodically climb on trees.
The cage is made of glass and may brake during shipping. We therefore recommend purchasing only if the product will not be shipped over long distances.
This reptile starter kit is convenient and easy to set up. We recommend this starter kit for beginner corn snake keepers with juvenile snakes. This product is suitable as a corn snake starter kit because it includes some of the care equipment you need.
The Zilla Basic Tropical Reptile starter kit includes the following in the package
- 10-gallon tank; suitable for baby corn snakes. The dimensions of the tank are 20.25” x 10.5” x 12.56”
- Reflective dome
- Day blue incandescent bulb
- Screen cover
- Humidity and temperature gauge
- Heat mat
- Green terrarium liner
- Set-up guide
The Zilla Basic Tropical Reptile Starter kit is good for baby corn snakes. However, note that you will need to purchase a few other equipment to keep your snake happy.
Buy 2 hides or caves, 1 in basking area and 1 in cooling area. You need to also purchase a large heavy water bowl for your corn snake to drink from and regularly soak themselves in.
To monitor and regulate the temperature, purchase a digital reptile thermometer and thermostat for the heat mat.
The green terrarium liner is good but not suitable substrate for corn snakes. Replace this with aspen shavings and you will be good to go.
The cage is made of glass and may arrive broken therefore do not purchase if it will be shipped over long distances.
The Zoo Med Laboratories Reptihabitat snake starter kit is great for beginner snake keepers because it includes most of the care equipment you need. Additionally, this kit is easy to set up and maintain.
The Zoo Med Laboratories Reptihabitat includes the following care accessories
- 20-gallon terrarium with sliding screen top; the dimensions of the terrarium are 30” x 12” x 12”
- ReptiTherm Under tank heater
- Mini deep dome lamp fixture
- Daylight blue reptile heat bulb
- Aspen snake bedding (8 qt)
- Analogue reptile thermometer
- Repti rock water dish
- Plastic bush plant
- Habba hut
- Giude to reptile care booklet
- ReptiSafe water conditioner
This product is great for corn snakes as it comes with most of what you need. However, you need to add 1 more hide or cave as you need 2. 1 in the basking area and 1 in the cooling area.
Although the analogue reptile thermometer works fine, you may need to invest in a digital reptile thermometer. Include a thermostat to easily regulate the temperature of the enclosure to keep your snake happy.
When purchasing this product, consider the distance as it may arrive broken during shipping. We do not recommend buying if the product will be shipped for long distances.